Archived on 6/5/2022

What else does Forest Hill need? [2016]

starman
7 Jul '16

As a new resident of the Hill, I’m really enjoying some of the local amenities. The Butchery is great for my high quality meats. I’m loving the Sicilian deli Il Mirto. And too many sweets from Pauline. The bottle shop without a name on t’other side of the station. And then there is the huge choice of drinking joints and restaurants hic.

But what else could Forest Hill need? I’ll start a list.

1. A darn good green grocers focussing on seasonal fruit and veg alongside daily staples.
  2. A bakery. Simples.
  3. A cool men’s wear shop catering to older people like me. No millenials!
  4. An Asian supermarket like that fabulous new one near Catford Bridge.
  5. A DIY store, the type with everything you’ll ever need on old shelves behind the counter.

Next!

system
7 Jul '16

Good suggestions.

Linking in a related topic for Honor Oakers:

RachaelDunlop
7 Jul '16

If you don’t mind travelling a little further afield, there is one of those in Sydenham, near the big roundabout. They were able to provide exactly the right size of mortice lock for one of our old doors, rummaging around in the back until they found a dusty box nearly old enough to be priced in old money.

I’d love to see a decent bakery in Forest Hill, one where you get specific stuff as and when you need it, rather than hoping the various delis have what you need. There was a French bakery just up the road on Kirkdale for a few years. People liked their product, but they proved unreliable for stock and opening hours. I’d say there’s definitely a market for another one.

Pauline
7 Jul '16

We’re getting a greengrocer/fishmongers on Perry Vale soon :slight_smile:

Londondrz
7 Jul '16

Slightly out of SE23 but Plough Homecraft seem to have everything. It is my “go to” shop for widgets, gizmo’s and general stuff.

AndyS
7 Jul '16

Which end, Pauline? Perry Rise or station?

Pauline
7 Jul '16

Station side, the shop that was “Disrtinguished Doors” :slight_smile:

RachaelDunlop
7 Jul '16

As a wrong-side-of-the-track gal, that makes me very happy!

starman
7 Jul '16

We’re making the wrong side right. This news make me so happy!!! :smile:

Pauline
7 Jul '16

Yup, me too, by the way starman let me know who you are next time you’re in & I can verify you :slight_smile:

I’d absolutely love a bakers in FH, two have been interested in the past but sadly have not came to anything :frowning:

anon10646030
7 Jul '16

Pauline since nothing seems to be stopping you how about a community bakery👏

Pauline
7 Jul '16

Well now you mention it, myself & Tara from @V22_Louise_House can sometimes get over excited about crazy ideas we have for the library. Our latest is doing a project & building an outdoor oven in the new community gardens behind the two buildings so you never know (opening day for the new community space & gardens at Louise house is 3pm on Saturday 23rd July, so put it in your diary). Some of our ideas are just that, crazy but some are sensible & doable :slight_smile:

Saying that I thought the craziest idea & conversation I ever had was when @JohnRussell said to me we would just run our library ourselves as a not for profit organisation if it came to it. This is how our community library bid team initially came about & it ended up being the best crazy idea & conversation I’ve ever had :slight_smile:

LPH
8 Jul '16

Wow this is brilliant news! So exciting!

Globalgetaway
8 Jul '16

Perhaps a conversation with the current Delis could address this.

bluefern
27 Jul '16

I second that!!! A French patisserie with space to sit and have a tea would be great!

Londondrz
2 Aug '16

Would love an offshoot of Plough Homecraft, they have stuff I have never seen before and I love my tools. What about a craft brewery/ironmongers. Heaven! :heart_eyes:

AndyS
3 Aug '16

Craft beers and power tools are not a good combination. Best to unplug the power tools and leave them alone.

Foresthillnick
3 Aug '16

I’d like to see a nice fishmongers and a grocer - I don’t think the one mentioned above is going to materialize. We do have Sopers in Nunhead but it is a little of a trek!

Simon
3 Aug '16

I’m reliably informed that work should start very shortly. Fishmongers is, slowly, on its way.

starman
3 Aug '16

Nooooooo!

Hurrah!

Foresthillnick
3 Aug '16

Ohhh really!? Looking forward to that - I must have the wrong end of the stick as I was under impression that what was going to be the fishmongers is now going to be Clacton Craft. I assume two different shops in that bit of road then?

Simon
3 Aug '16

Yes I heard that rumour too, but what was the door shop is certainly becoming the fishmongers and greengrocers. I think the Clacton Craft story was the result of a promotional poster in a window, or something along those lines, but no substance to it as far as I’m aware.

starman
3 Aug '16

The licensing notice for Clapton Craft is on a shuttered shop next door to the Door place.

anon5422159
3 Aug '16

I’ve just checked (happen to be on Perry Vale), and here’s the note:

Simon
3 Aug '16

Ah, interesting. All change around there then. Good stuff!

Pauline
8 Aug '16

Not long now until Stephan (local resident & Eliot Bank Dad) opens!

Let him know via the website what you would like him to stock :slight_smile:

http://www.watersenterprises.co.uk

WatersSE23
8 Aug '16

Cheers Pauline!

Pauline
8 Aug '16

You’re welcome Stephan, I’ll just go & verify you now :slight_smile:

starman
8 Aug '16

Woohoo. Next… a bakery.

Pauline
8 Aug '16

Your wish may come true sooner than you think Jason :+1::+1:

Myself & @Zoleipar from @TheArchieParker are taking over FH Food Assembly & plan on relaunching it this week!

We’re here @FHFoodAssembly & @fhfoodassembly1 on twitterland

Thursday is the day we plan to relaunch it :tada::tada::tada:

ETA this

anon10646030
9 Aug '16

Very exited hope they will stick squid, love to but fresh produce nd Pauline the food assembly is a great asset too

anon5422159
9 Aug '16

A post was split to a new topic: Forest Hill Food Assembly

AndyS
8 Sep '16

I’m sure this sign wasn’t there yesterday…

Pauline
8 Sep '16

Problems with floors etc!

Shop fits can be a nightmare Xxx

Will be up and running soon in the meantime you can order fish and seafood from FH food assrmbly. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Foresthillnick
9 Sep '16

Yes I saw a big hole in the floor last week but progress seems to being made…
looking forward to stopping and picking up a beer, some veg and a nice fish supper on the way home.

Pauline
9 Sep '16

Just to add Stephan the owner is a local Dad & we (The Food Assembly) will be working with him when he’s up and running. I think this will be a brilliant asset to the area & can’t wait till he opens :slight_smile:

starman
9 Sep '16

Waters posted this in my response to a question on their commercial post.

http://www.watersenterprises.co.uk/we-are-still-hard-at-work/

WatersSE23
11 Sep '16

Floor is now all sorted. There was a drain pipe dripping down into the ground below which had made one corner very damp. It’s now been rerouted.

There were unbelievable amounts of stuff to clear from the back units, roof and numerous other areas. Have lost count of van loads required.

Hoping to have plastering finished today and then electrics and plumbing to get sorted.

Please keep and eye on our website, Twitter and Facebook feed for up to date information.

anon10646030
11 Sep '16

Looking forward to your opening, hope you have squid and mussels

lucyledisco
12 Sep '16

Hello all, been quietly reading this forum for months, first time contributer!
My husband and I are new residents to Forest Hill, and we love it so much we want to expand on our existing work in music to open an institute of contemporary music in Forest Hill (music lessons, instrument retail and community music space).
We’re well qualified and ready to go, other than the necessary commercial space. We’d prefer Dartmouth Road but would consider anywhere central, ideally with some basement space. We’re following all leads but struggling to make contact with anyone re. letting vacant sites.
We think a music school would be a great addition to what’s available in Forest Hill, and looking for tips as to vacant space for our new musical home!
Many thanks
Lucy

Dave
12 Sep '16

Hi @lucyledisco - have you visited the places on Brockley Rise (one of them is called Soundheart, if I remember correctly) near the junction with the South Circular? I wonder whether they’re currently the first option for people in FH.

lucyledisco
12 Sep '16

Hi Dave,
Thanks so much for your response.
We are familiar with what’s currently available in the area, but feel we would be offering something different from other music centres in SE London, including becoming a local examination centre.
We’re quite confident having talked to local residents and traders that our services would be in demand, we’ve just hit a brick wall in terms of space. If anyone can put us in touch with someone with commercial space to let in central FH, we’d be very grateful!
BW
Lucy

Londondrz
12 Sep '16

@lucyledisco Hi there and welcome. @Pauline is the local guru and @Anotherjohn may he able to help. Funny, whilst standing at Barclays the other day I noticed the huge space above MandCo. Seems empty. I wonder if that is available.

lucyledisco
12 Sep '16

Thanks so much for the welcome, hope all are as welcoming on this forum as FH people have been in real life :blush:
We know Pauline and John, so we’ll be continuing to badger them for inside information!
And yes, the space you mention seems great, just a case of tracking down someone to speak to about it… I’m off to pick Pauline’s brain… :joy:

Pauline
12 Sep '16

Hahaha, yes I know @lucyledisco :joy::joy:

Lucy, I had the info for M & Co (they own the building) a while back when Morrisons tried to take the building on so I’ll dig it out later and drop it into you.

Did the other place not work out, and I’ve just remembered Gu in the DVD shop has that landlords number xx

ETA Lucy I’ll go verify you now

lucyledisco
12 Sep '16

Well, we visited them as you suggested but everyone’s a bit cagey… Also called the estate agents no. from on top of that premises and they say there are problems and it’s not up for let :slightly_frowning_face: Though I’d love the landlords number from Gu though, can’t hurt to pester!
Do pop down later for a cuppa, we’re so keen to find the right place! :laughing: x

Pauline
12 Sep '16

Cool, I’ll pop down later when I dig out the info for you & Gu leaves his shop at 2.30 today but he’s back at 8.30 till 9.30/10 so pop in and get it off him then xx

fran
12 Sep '16

I think one of the places on Brockley Rise is already an examination centre? Anyway, good luck finding a space for your new venture. Lots of kids playing musical instruments round here. My eldest wants to learn the cello, thanks to Becky at Nimble Tots. Trying my hardest to convince her to try a smaller instrument.

Jimsthename
27 Oct '16

Any news on the Clapton Craft application (Perry Vale)? Or is that off?

starman
27 Oct '16

I was thinking that yesterday while I was nosing around the new fish/veg place and seeing how that was progressing.

robin.orton
27 Oct '16

Would it be nice to have some non-Christian place of worship in FH - mosque, synagogue, gurdwara, temple? Might liven the place up a bit?

starman
27 Oct '16

There is a Quaker Meeting Hall on Sunderland Road. I believe that while the Quakers have their roots in Christianity, not all Quakers are Christian.

Michael
27 Oct '16

I believe there is a Hindu temple on One Tree Hill, which is in SE23.

Pauline
27 Oct '16

Personally I don’t think places of worship would bring anything to our community regardless of who they are.

I say a bakers is what we need :slight_smile:

anon5422159
28 Oct '16

Hear hear.

Let’s focus on inclusive venues.

robin.orton
28 Oct '16

See Matthew 4.4

AndyS
28 Oct '16

When have you ever been refused admission to a place of worship?

anon5422159
28 Oct '16

Many come with expectations or caveats. But as a straight male I do have access to most religious venues, you’re right.

Michael
28 Oct '16

@robin.orton please stop trying to ‘liven up’ the thread by bringing religion into it.

robin.orton
28 Oct '16

@Michael It was just that I found it a bit irritating that all the posters (with the honourable exception of ‘lucyledisco’) seem to see the ‘needs’ of Forest Hill solely in terms of shops. But I shall obviously comply with your polite request, as I don’t want to cause offence.

Congratulations on being promoted to moderator, by the way.

comoed
28 Oct '16

the ‘needs’ of Forest Hill solely in terms of shops

Well, the post is categorised in the shops section. However I suppose churches are kind of shops.

robin.orton
28 Oct '16

Yes, I should have noticed that, shouldn’t I? Sorry. Selective blindness - shops are my least favourite places.

Foresthillnick
28 Oct '16

To get back on topic I’d like to see a music venue - the Capitol would be ideal. Or more likely a multi purpose space that could be used for live music, dance nights and other varied events. However I’m not sure there is much money in it these days… It could liven the area up a bit.

starman
28 Oct '16

Like child-free restaurants. :smiling_imp:

starman
28 Oct '16

With the greatest respect I started this thread with the express purpose of discussing shops, but it may not have been as obvious as I had used the phrase amenities. Personally I’m pleased its grown beyond that. As I don’t subscribe to a religion, religious institutions weren’t on my mind.

anon5422159
29 Oct '16

Child-free restaurants (from 7pm, say) would more inclusive to adults who want to relax when they eat.

Swings and roundabouts eh? :wink:

AndyS
29 Oct '16

Quite right. Nail bars, on the other hand,…

AndyS
29 Oct '16

Pun not intended.

RobA
31 Oct '16

I’d second an ironmongers (Robert Dyas maybe) - or a bookshop (although there is one on Kirkdale) or perhaps a bric-a-brac / “antiques” shop like the ones you get in Crystal Palace. Not sure FH needs any of these, but it’d be nice.

starman
31 Oct '16

There is Wild Horses on Dartmouth Road. I’ve got some wonderful things for the house there. And the owner is so pleasant.

Brett
31 Oct '16

If Honor Oak is not too far to go then Grandad’s Antiques at 84 Brockley Rise might be something similar. Am not really sure as I do not hang around the bric-a-brac shops in Crystal Palace. There is also HopMarket (60 Honor Oak Park) which is somewhat more eclectic.

RobA
31 Oct '16

Thanks v much for both those suggestions. I’ll seek them out!

Andy
1 Nov '16

Better bus routes. The quickest route to Clapham Common, for example, is via London Bridge by rail. By bus, you have to change and it takes over an hour.

Londondrz
1 Nov '16

Train from FH to Clapham Junction then walk?

rbmartin
1 Nov '16

I also use Plough Homecraft. If I’m really desperate, then I go to Homebase in Penge.

Matthew_Benney
1 Nov '16

This place has been closed for a long time.

weepy
5 Nov '16

A bakers would be amazing

Londondrz
5 Nov '16

There was a bakers just a short walk away in Kirkdale. It closed.

anon86223367
5 Nov '16

This may be controversial, but a decent place to get some lunch. Sick of meal deals and sick of having to pay £6+ for something that’s warm and half decent. A subway or wasabi would be bliss.

RachaelDunlop
5 Nov '16

Where in FH does meal deals?

I’ve never been disappointed by the toasted sandwiches at the @TheArchieParker or the Paninis at The Teapot.

anon86223367
5 Nov '16

Big fan of Archie Parker but £4 for just a sandwich leaves it strictly for pay days.

RachaelDunlop
5 Nov '16

I usually eat lunch at home, eating out only once a week at most. Is £4 a lot for a sandwich? Genuine question.

TheArchieParker
5 Nov '16

We offer classic sandwiches for £3.50 on white or brown sliced. :slightly_smiling_face:

The sourdough sandwiches are more expensive but they are also considerably bigger than something you would buy in a supermarket.

Foresthillnick
5 Nov '16

Some decent Sushi would be lovely. Sapporo Ichiban in Catford is good and Hibagon Sushi in Kirkdale is nice too but just a little to far to be called local.

RachaelDunlop
5 Nov '16

The sourdough sandwiches are a main meal in themselves! Huge. And delicious.

weepy
5 Nov '16

I supported it for a little bit but the bread was bad :frowning: apparently it’s
lease has recently been taken over. Fingers xssed it’s another baker :slight_smile:

starman
5 Nov '16

Huge fan. Rubanesque forever.

Pauline
5 Nov '16

Oh I would suggest that the steak ciabatta when on special is even better with mustard mayo, peppers & my fave, red onions. Oh to die for :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Pauline
5 Nov '16

What else does FH need, a bloody good library www.fhlibrary.co.uk :joy::joy:

starman
5 Nov '16

Are you sure its available yet?

Pauline
5 Nov '16

Yes for sure :joy::joy::joy:

Pauline
6 Nov '16

Update on our new fishmonger & greengrocer!

@WatersSE23 which is a local family.

Stephan showed me around this evening and all is looking fab, loads of work going on & they are still hard at it now creating a kitchen space and more.

They want to give any left over produce to local food banks when they open, I love that :heart:

We will also be working with him with www.thefoodassembly.com :slight_smile:

anon17648011
7 Nov '16

I think £4 is very fair for a sandwich in an eat-in cafe. Most M&S/Pret/Waitrose sandwiches are in the £3-5 range and these are pre-packaged and even places like Subway start at £3.

Having said that, in the current climate of austerity I’m finding I’m making my own sandwiches or taking in leftovers for lunch because it does end up saving about £20 a week. And without wishing to turn this into a political thread, it’s pretty obvious that since the Brexit referendum and the pound plummeting we’re going to see grocery bills rise - Birdseye and Walkers the latest to signal intentions to raise prices…

Foresthillnick
7 Nov '16

Any news on an opening date?

appletree
7 Nov '16

Not sure where you are, but Hibagon seems pretty local to me. Only five minutes walk from somewhere like Archie Parker.

Londondrz
7 Nov '16

Mmm, Walkers crisps. Grown in the UK, produced and distributed in the UK. Not sure how they can claim Brexit warrants a 10% increase?

anon5422159
7 Nov '16

Apparently:

Hopefully Walkers will switch to using British ingredients and packaging now the foreign-produced options are more expensive? Could be boom time for Great British packaging companies :wink:

Michael
7 Nov '16

@moderators can we remove fishfingers from this thread? @anon17648011 has clearly gone into politics, whether or not wishing to do so.

RachaelDunlop
7 Nov '16

Agreed. Let’s keep on topic please. I mean, who eats fishfingers for lunch?

AndyS
7 Nov '16

Fishfinger sandwiches for Saturday lunch? Yum!

RobA
7 Nov '16

Although the bread is still in the window - very stale.

Londondrz
7 Nov '16

Smiths fish finger sandwiches are brilliant. You can of course make them at home for significantly less money but less ambience! :grinning:

Pauline
7 Nov '16

Just as soon as the shopfit is complete & appliances delivered :slight_smile:

Foresthillnick
7 Nov '16

I read their statement on this - rising petrol prices and many ingredients sourced from abroad inc the oil, flavourings they use.

Foresthillnick
7 Nov '16

Just bumped into him! We were looking down thew sinkhole (which by the way is massive!) - he hopes next week with finders crossed.

Foresthillnick
7 Nov '16

I’m over a mile from Archie Parker. So a decent walk to Hibagon which naturally entails a stop over at the Sylvan Post… :slight_smile:

Londondrz
7 Nov '16

I wonder if the farmers will see an increase on what Walkers gives them. As a frequent Norfolk visitor the local farmer I know who supplies them isnt jumping for joy.

WatersSE23
7 Nov '16

We’re working on. Keep an eye out on our Twitter and Facebook feeds for the most up to date news. They are a little quiet at the moment but we should have some news to post soon.

Jonny_Wright
11 Nov '16

An independent cinema.

hillwalker
11 Nov '16

So, anyone know if this going to happen?

Foresthillnick
11 Nov '16

Nothing on their site, nothing on twitter and nothing on the Lewisham lisy of current application or exisiting licenses…

Maybe it has been approved and doesn’t show up yet but it looks like it may be delayed or not happening

WatersSE23
14 Nov '16

http://www.watersenterprises.co.uk/opening-november-23rd/ :grin:

Pauline
14 Nov '16

Woohoo xx

starman
14 Nov '16

Agreed.

WatersSE23
22 Nov '16

Opening is delay again folks. Hopefully Friday. Keep everything cross for us!

http://www.watersenterprises.co.uk/a-slight-delay/

Foresthillnick
24 Nov '16

Are you still on for opening tomorrow - sounds like it has been a bit of a journey for you!

WatersSE23
24 Nov '16

Yes. Tomorrow, not everything is in place yet but we will have things to sell in the morning.

Michael
13 Dec '16

Returning to the original question - What else does Forest Hill need?

I got the opportunity to visit the unit that used to have a walrus painted on it, and that was once a bakery. Behind a narrow entrance is a large unit and basement area. It has great potential despite the narrow shop front. But I would be interested in ideas and businesses that might be interested.

We’ve already got a butcher, fishmonger, sweetshop, coffee shops, nail bars, bookmakers, hairdressers, estate agents, pubs, delis, supermarkets, and a few good restaurants. So what new ventures would be right for this location?

Pauline
13 Dec '16

Yup it goes quite far back, I would love a bakery :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I did have the landlords number a while back but can’t seem to find it now, I do know that @Anotherjohn also had his number but not sure if he still has it either.

Michael
13 Dec '16

I’ve got his number. We just need to find something good to fill the space (before somebody suggests it becomes a nail bar).

Londondrz
13 Dec '16

I am waiting for the inevitable suggestion of Waitrose.

Pauline
13 Dec '16

Brilliant and yup!

Have you still got that bakers contact details from ages ago to see if he would be interested?

Also maybe I should get in touch with “Hop, Burns & Black” to see if they’re still interested in opening a shop in FH :slight_smile:

Michael
13 Dec '16

I don’t have the details of a bakery that closed almost 20 years ago. If you have other ideas for bakers or others, you should let them know.

Pauline
13 Dec '16

Hahahs, I meant the baker you brought in to meet me a few years back that was possibly interested in opening in FH :joy::joy:

Michael
13 Dec '16

Oh, when you said ages ago, I thought you meant last century.

Anotherjohn
13 Dec '16

Lewisham should have enforced against the new doorway to the upper part, which has created the most ridiculous shopfront in the town.

Michael
13 Dec '16

The owner claims the door has always been there. I have no evidence to the contrary.

Brett
13 Dec '16

Doesn’t look like it given the commercial shutter in this picture. Streetview from June 2008:

Michael
13 Dec '16

That doesn’t mean there wasn’t a door behind the shutters.
I couldn’t see where else the staircase would have been before the renovations. I have used Google Streetview and some old photos to see if I could see this shop front as a bakery, but couldn’t find anything useful.

Brett
13 Dec '16

True. But could there have been a door to access a flat behind a roll shutter? Which is shut if you move to one of the subsequent frames along the road BTW.

ETA: there is also a line of bricks where the door is now.

Michael
13 Dec '16

It was never flats above. The line of bricks is interesting but not quite proof enough.

anon64893700
13 Dec '16

Nandos?

Londondrz
13 Dec '16

Not a bad shout.

anon64893700
13 Dec '16

If I say it enough…

Michael
13 Dec '16

I suspect any big names will want big shop front, so a chain like Nandos, Poundland or Waitrose are highly unlikely.

anon64893700
13 Dec '16

Nandos works fine on corners too, as Catford shows.

Pauline
13 Dec '16

@lucyledisco is interested in having a look for the FH music School & music examination centre.

I’ve not seen the basement, how big is it?

Pauline
13 Dec '16

There’s also another shop up for rent on D Rd.

Best of Both & Kids on the Hill are by the same person and are now being merged into one, so what was Best of Both is now up for grabs!

I have the contact details for this one if anyone’s interested but not sharing with anyone looking to open a hairdressers or nail bar :slight_smile:

weepy
13 Dec '16

Here’s a pic of what was Zaza Tea Place

Pauline
13 Dec '16

This one is a mystery to me, only open for a week or so & looking for a premium :frowning:

starman
14 Dec '16

A proper mens barber.

anon5422159
14 Dec '16

Have you tried Rob’s, @starman? Recommendations here

Londondrz
14 Dec '16

What’s wrong with Erdis?

starman
14 Dec '16

Is he a hipster barber? For hair hipsters are the best.

Michael
14 Dec '16

He’s had a couple of hip replacements, does that count?

Anotherjohn
14 Dec '16

Who do you reckon will take the big hardware shop next to the Capitol?

Michael
14 Dec '16

Is it closing?

Pauline
14 Dec '16
Anotherjohn
14 Dec '16

Good question Michael.
Looking at the particulars - particularly the premium (GULP!) - I’d say the answer would be something like, “Not any time soon”.

Full description
Ranson UK are proud to present this well established ground floor commercial property located in a very busy location with a high foot fall. This unit currently has 3 years remaining on its lease and a rent review is also carried out every 5 years.This large A1 unit is situated in a great location, occupying a prominent position on London Road just moments away from Forest Hill Station and next to well established high street brands.Forest Hill offers an exclusive and vibrant community with a range of unique shops, bars and restaurants such as Pizza Hit, Santander bank, and William Hill. Transport links are easily accessible from Forest Hill Station providing access to the London overground.

AccommodationTotal accommodation size: 1279 Approx Sq Ft

Lease Term/CommencementOur client wishes to assign the renewable lease which has 3 years remaining.

Rent£45,480 per Annum

Premium£ 400,000

VATThis property is elected for VAT

AndyS
14 Dec '16

Sorry, I know you and/or @Pauline have answered this before - but is that £400,000 “premium” an up-front fee for getting the keys??? On top of £45+k pa???

Pauline
14 Dec '16

I’m completely baffled by some of the premiums being asked for lately, not least this one!

So now asking for premiums are:

This & at £400k for a three year lease just sounds unheard of!
Zara’s Tea place asking for £40k when it never even got up and running again baffles me!
The Montage at £25k
ill Mirto is up with a premium, but I don’t know how much for.
The Teapot has been up for let for a while too, but don’t know if there is a premium or not as I’ve not had time to dig around.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Pauline
14 Dec '16

Yes Andy :frowning:

AndyS
14 Dec '16

Out-flipping-rageous!!!

Pauline
14 Dec '16

Totally!!!

Pauline
14 Dec '16

@anon64893700 this one is not a corner shop but “Home Accessories” is, so you might want to contact them if you want a “Nando’s”.

Personally I wouldn’t use it but others might do!

Pauline
14 Dec '16

Richard @NewForester what’s your thoughts on this, I remember we had a chat a while back when we dug out the land registry for The Capitol when it was said it was going to be a cinema which never emerged 2/3 years ago.

If I remember rightly we also spoke about premiums & what/who could justify these & if I’m right in thinking I don’t think any of what I mentioned previously could merit this, except maybe The Capitol depending…

Accounts would have to be shown (over a long period) to merit asking for a premium and a certain profit return which wouldn’t justify the rest I mentioned I don’t think.

Hope I’m wrong though & all get snapped up!

Pauline
15 Dec '16

Very sad to say that Monday 19th December is the last day The Montage will be trading :disappointed_relieved:

Foresthillnick
15 Dec '16

I just don’t this premium thing. What is it based on - surely it makes no odds how profitable the Home accessories shop is if you are going to open a Nandos (Heaven forbid - can’t stand the places) or a Waitrose…

RachaelDunlop
15 Dec '16

I can’t see the point of driving out small businesses on the off chance of getting someone else who will pay more. The Montage makes great use of a difficult space. What big name trader is going to take that on? However, I have often wondered if the limited food offer in the Montage was ever going to be enough to cover the costs of what is quite a big space.

Londondrz
15 Dec '16

My big worry is with quite a few owners seemingly asking big premiums are we going to see a lot of empty shops again.

Nomis46
15 Dec '16

A fairly concise explanation of lease premiums:

Outside of the realms of tax, the lease premium is a device for changing the profile of the cashflow from a lease. If an investment company needs to invest in a new property, or refurbishing an existing property, it may decide to charge a lease premium in order to get an up front lump sum return on its investment. This would often be reflected in a lower passing rent under the lease than an open market rent for the property.

If an existing lease is assigned to a new tenant, then a premium may be charged by the old tenant to the new tenant. This would reflect some special value that the lease or property had, e.g. a low rent, or specialised fittings.

There can also be a reverse premium, where the tenant receives a lump sum. This might be an inducement to pay a higher rent, or to fund works in the property.

Pauline
15 Dec '16

Just to be clear - It’s the existing tenants that are asking for premiums and not the landlords.

Londondrz
15 Dec '16

So the New From The Forest (cant remember the new name) are asking for a lot of money having been open for a few days?

Pauline
15 Dec '16

Exactly, it’s bonkers!

Foresthillnick
15 Dec '16

Ah! That makes much more sense!
Well it doesn’t in the context of From the Forest but the idea makes sense now - ta!

RachaelDunlop
15 Dec '16

Is this the retail equivalent of flipping a property? Take it on, superficially gussie it up and hike the price for the next taker?

starman
15 Dec '16

I blame Brexit. :smiling_imp:

anon64893700
15 Dec '16

My suggestion was not based on a specific building, but in general to the thread.

What;s wrong with Nandos out of interest? I’m all for independent places, but also like a few chains too, this for me happens to be one of them.
That’s you and @Pauline not using it when it opens then lol

My thoughts exactly mate, and drives my hope that a few big names will come in to help attract people to parts they don’t already explore.

Foresthillnick
15 Dec '16

Just not my thing although I realise they are quite popular - I don’t really have any objection to them as long as I don’t have to eat there. I like chicken to have some structure to it - it was all mushy and yet rubbery at the same time and accompanied by some tasteless slop masquerading as sauce Mind you I only went once but it felt like the staff had been recruited from wrong end of the bell curve as they couldn’t cope with anything slightly off piste.
I admit I am a bit fussy about food - but maybe I should give them another go.

Londondrz
15 Dec '16

Oi! Dont you start :grin:

simonk133
15 Dec '16

I quite like Nandos. One of the better quality large chains IMO.

But I think any large chain setting up in Forest Hill is going to have a footfall issue. Our centre is very small and so not necessarily suited to big chain businesses looking to fill up large spaces. I suspect it’s the same reason Wetherspoon’s wants to offload the Capitol (and why they’re struggling for a buyer). Nando’s (and similar) tend to set up in larger centres - our nearest are Catford, Beckenham, Lewisham, Camberwell all of which have many more commercial units.

Londondrz
15 Dec '16

Which is possibly why we lost McDonalds (dont quote me on this as they may have had other reasons for closing).

AndyS
15 Dec '16

I wouldn’t, if I were you. I would, if I were me, which I am. If you want chicken and chips and coleslaw and white wine - especially before or after a movie - then great. We like Nandos. Doesn’t sound as though you’ll derive much pleasure from giving it a second chance, though. Chacun à son gout. That is all.

Foresthillnick
15 Dec '16

I would normally always give everything two goes before I add them to the list of things to avoid - maybe three but it was so awful I have never felt the need to go back. Maybe one day…
If we were to have a new food place I would love a Vietnamese.

AndyS
15 Dec '16

Now you’re talking!

Londondrz
15 Dec '16

Nandos here, and Nandos in South Africa (where it originates) is very different. I find it overcooked here to satisfy health and safety. Nowt wrong with that but then there is cooked and there is COOKED! :scream:

Pauline
15 Dec '16

I think something like “H&M” would go down well where “Home Accessories” is especially as M&Co will become “Superdrug” soon, but don’t think FH has enough footfall sadly :frowning:

And let’s not forget the asking premium for a 3 year lease is :rofl::rofl: £400k!

Gary_Brown
15 Dec '16
RachaelDunlop
15 Dec '16

What in the name of all that is holy is a Vietnamese baguette?

Andy
15 Dec '16

It’s also known as Bánh mì.

Pauline
15 Dec '16

Saw this too on twitterland, might have to ask the location :slight_smile:

Chipcity
16 Dec '16

I was walking past from the forest this afternoon and noticed a few paint pots under the blinds and an opening soon sign inside. I was in a hurry so I do not recall the name.

Pauline
16 Dec '16

Same new owner changing the business model maybe?

I don’t know just asking, as I don’t see anywhere the premium was payed, but I may not be able to get this info.

Anyway good luck to the new business if that’s what’s happening :slight_smile:

Foresthillnick
16 Dec '16

They are delicious. Due to the French influence in Vietnam they make the most fantastic baguettes in massive quantities - the bakeries are something to behold - all steam and heat.
The bread is really light and airy and it is stuffed full of meat, pickles, herbs and some sauce - damn fine.

Foresthillnick
16 Dec '16

From the twitter…

@paulinewright2 Morning sorry for late reply Gao in replace of House of Zara

— @SE23LDN (@se23ldn) December 16, 2016
Stephen
16 Dec '16

I’d quite like a Dirty Burger or Chicken Shop instead of Nandos where Home Accessories is, had the latter where I used to live in Balham and was much better than Nandos. An independent Korean-oriented chicken place like Chicken Liquor would be better still but that’s probably pushing it too far.

Londondrz
16 Dec '16

Vietnamese in FH. I may not move to Norfolk now!

Londondrz
16 Dec '16

Nirvana on a plate

RachaelDunlop
16 Dec '16

Thanks for the info everyone, and resisting the urge to tell me to do this: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vietnamese+baguette

:wink:

AndyS
16 Dec '16

What does Forest Hill need? A return of tram route 58, as seen here on @SE23LDN’s Twitter page:

Looks like it was replaced by the 185 bus to Victoria, but we’ve lost the eastward journey to Greenwich and the Blackwall Tunnel (handy for the Greenwich Odeon and the O2!).

starman
16 Dec '16

Very cool picture. And look. A early 20th century version of the Poundland.

robin.orton
16 Dec '16

And I guess that’s the now demolished St John’s URC (ex-Presbyterian) church on Devonshire Road in the background?

Andy
16 Dec '16

I would love that Guinness advert to be replaced. I’m sure that it would increase the stout sales in The Signal.

Also, you can see someone crossing the road in exactly the same place that people do now. Clearly the junction worked as well for pedestrians then as it does now.

starman
16 Dec '16

Not much traffic though.

Londondrz
16 Dec '16

Burst water main?

AndyS
16 Dec '16

Hope not. That wouldn’t do the public toilets much good.

Londondrz
16 Dec '16

It would help with the cleaning though.

anon86223367
16 Dec '16

Now we’re talking.

Vietnamese baguettes might soon become a new lunchtime favourite.

AndyS
21 Dec '16

What else does Forest Hill need? An airport.

I noticed that our National Rail station code, FOH, has not yet been assigned as an IATA code to any airport in the world. Therefore, in order to ensure that our TLA isn’t grabbed by Forest Hill, Kentucky, or Forest Hill, Newfoundland, or any of the 33 places in the world called Forest Hill that are outside of SE23, we need to build an airport and get IATA to tag it FOH.

[Is that the end of the sherry? Already?]

starman
21 Dec '16

Hurrah.

Though I suspect they’d try to give it an L prefix so LFH. Is that available?

We’re safe there. All Canadian airports have the prefix Y.

Its because of the Forest Hill, a district of Toronto that I get exclamation of ‘oooh lucky’ and 'get ‘er’ when I tell my Canadian friends where I live.

http://www.torontoneighbourhoods.net/neighbourhoods/midtown/forest-hill

I’ve a great bottle of pedro ximenez.

AndyS
21 Dec '16

Crikey, you’re an even bigger aviation nerd than I am!

LFH is still available. It would put us just above LFI, which is Langley Air Force Base, beside the CIA HQ if I’m not mistaken.

Pauline
10 Jan '17

Sadly what was “Best of Both Boutique” is now becoming an accountants office - so no shop offering :frowning:

Pauline
10 Jan '17

I had a look around yesterday & the upstairs is massive - I think it would be perfect for a restaurant!

The narrower section when you enter the ground floor could make a great bar area & the wider section at the back would be perfect for a restaurant & could probably fit in around 30 tables.

Then downstairs toilets have been fitted to the front area & are tucked away & the main section (to the rear & the wider section) has been fitted with a new extraction unit & would be perfect for a kitchen to be put in.

I think an evening restaurant offering something different to what we have already would be fab :slight_smile:

Londondrz
10 Jan '17

I have been here since 2001 and dont ever remember that area being open. When was it actually last used?

Pauline
10 Jan '17

About 20ish years ago it was a bakers.

A car crashed into the shop front back then & it never reopened as a bakers or anything else.

Londondrz
10 Jan '17

How about the education recruitment shop and the coffee shop?

Michael
10 Jan '17

I think the next coffee shop to open should include a tourist office for Forest Hill. We could even allow it to admit to the existence of Dulwich and other parts of South London.

Londondrz
10 Jan '17

Heresy Michael!! Out with the pitch forks and flaming torches!!! :grin:

starman
10 Jan '17

WITCH!

anon5422159
11 Jan '17

Now this is a mega-topic of 200+ posts I wonder if it’s worth closing it to new posts and continuing it via a “What does Forest Hill need [2017]” topic? (containing a link to the closed 2016 topic)

Worth noting - new forum members start at post #1 when they click on a topic, and the software estimates a read time of 15 mins on this topic as it stands.

• Close topic to new posts, and start a new one for 2017
  • Leave as-is

0 voters

By the way, congrats to @starman for seeding a good discussion of 208 replies and 5200 views!

RachaelDunlop
11 Jan '17

Start a new one with an admin post with a list of things suggested here.

starman
11 Jan '17

Absolutely with @RachaelDunlop on this one. I too think a new topic for 2017 would be a great way to invigorate the discussion, but would love to see a summary of the suggestions made in 2016.

Londondrz
11 Jan '17

Agreed.

anon5422159
12 Jan '17

Continues:

What else do Forest Hill and Honor Oak need? [2017]

What does SE23 need now? [2018 edition]

What else do Forest Hill and Honor Oak need? [2020]