In March 2018, @Lionel Stanhope, assisted by Owain Nicholls, painted a brand new mural to welcome people to Forest Hill.
Waldram Crescent (AKA South Circular) under the railway bridge, on the Eastern side as indicated here:
Our whirlwind crowdfunder raised £2,500 in just 75 hours.
Thank you to the 69 people who generously donated to this project, and in particular to the following, who each donated £100+
- @ChrisBeach: £500 (part funded by all the businesses who promoted on this forum)
- @Anotherjohn: £150
- @Armadillo: £100 - and also contributing a very popular Walrus to the design
(local butcher: http://thebutcheryltd.com)
- Adrian and Paul: £100
- @Londondrz: £100
(local design studio and online shop: http://www.placeinprint.com/)
(local estate agent: http://www.benjamin-matthews.co.uk/)
- @Bolgerp: £100
- Painting: March 23-24th
- @Lionel has liased with Network Rail to provide a risk assessment tweaked to suit FH
- Cleaning the wall: March 17th.
- Arrange parking for the artist’s van
- Run Crowdfunder: 8th January, ran for 75 hours before exceeding target
Network Rail permission:
- @Pauline spoke with Ed from Network Rail on 5/12 & all is good to go with them
- Colour / variant selection
- Selected a site: the rail bridge underpass on Waldram Crescent (AKA South Circular)
- Lined up our first willing artist with a quote and mulitple design variants ready to put to the vote.
- Secured permissions in principle
- Secured our first major donors in principle
Call for designs 18th November - 11th December 2017
- We have mockups from @Lionel in the traditional rail style with two colour options, and a fun walrussy variant created by @Armadillo, which Lionel has confirmed he’s able to paint.
- A prominent local street artist responded to say she supported @Lionel’s bid so would not be submitting a design of her own.
- A local designer has submitted a design. No artist/quote was submitted before the deadline so this design will not be featured in the vote
Designing the voting process
- The (opt-in) @FH_Mural group decided how voting will work for design and colour options.
- Initial idea suggested by @thirstforwine: May 2016
- Painting: £2,100 for painting. Any excess to be used for contingency or donated to the Forest Hill Society.
Maintenance Fund: £250for accounting reasons we’ll collect only the sum for the painting
- Crowdfunding: Up to 12% in crowdfunding site fees + transaction fees
This is a wiki-topic, editable by all established SE23.life members.